The Lesneski Migration to America
Frank Lesneski, born 2 Jan 1843 in Germany; married abt 1871; immigrated to the United States in 1886. After coming to the United States, Frank lived in Huston Township, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, and worked first as a coal miner, and later as a farmer. Frank died 4 Feb 1925 in Tyler, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. He was buried 7 Feb 1925 in DuBois, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. In his will, Frank requested to be buried in the Catholic cemetery in DuBois, Pennsylvania.
Dora __________ (listed as Dorothy on her death certificate), wife of Frank Lesneski, born Oct 1848 in Germany; immigrated to the United States in 1887; died 2 Jan 1918. The 1900 census states that Dora had given birth to 11 children, only 7 of which were living by 1900.
Known children of Frank and Dora Lesneski:
- Mary Ann Lesneski, born August 1872 in Germany; died 4 Oct 1952 in West Freehold, Monmouth, New Jersey. Married Anthony John Zoltowski. Mary was known as Mary Zoll later in life.
- Joseph James Lesneski, born 16 Mar 1882 in Germany; died 31 May 1958 in Youngstown, Mahoning, Ohio. Married Jennie Bozinski.
- Martin Lesneski, born 12 Nov 1886 in Germany; died 21 Feb 1929 in Nanty Glo, Cambria, Pennsylvania. Martin married Catherine Golla.
- Stanley Lesneski, born Apr 1889 in Pennsylvania.
- Thomas Lesneski, born Mar 1891 in Pennsylvania.
- James W. Lesneski, born 28 Jul 1893 or 1894 in Antrim, Tioga, Pennsylvania; died 14 May 1956. Married Estella “Stella” Godomski.
- As of October 2020, I have not found conclusive evidence that explicitly names Mary Ann as a daughter of Frank and Dora Lesneski. However, I have included Mary Ann here based on the following evidence:
- An obituary for James W. Lesneski states he had a sister “Mary Zoll of Newark, N.J.” This same Mary Zoll was known as Mary Zoll, Mary Zoltowski, and Mary Lesneski Zoll in various documents and historical records.
- Mary Zoll was mentioned as a Lesneski in the obituary of her daughter Martha. The obituary states Martha was the daughter of “Anthony and Mary Lesneski Zoll”.
- I have correspondence from James W. Lesneski descendants listing the brothers and sisters of James W. Lesneski, which lists Mary as a sister: “Mary Zoll (was Zoltowski)” who “had a daughter Martha”.
- Frank is listed as “Frank Lesneski Sr.” in one source, indicating that there may have been a Frank Lesneski, Jr. also. Unfortunately I have been unable to confirm this.
Source information and other documentation for Frank and Dora Lesneski
- 1900 US Federal Census, Huston Township, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 25, Sheet 9, 11 Jun 1900. Head of House: Lesneski, Frank. View image
- 1910 US Federal Census, Huston Township, Clearfield Couny, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 84. Head of House: Lesneski, Frank. View image
- 1920 US Federal Census, Huston Township, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, Enumeration District 91, sheet 4B, 10th and 12th January 1920. Head of House: Lesneski, Frank. View image.
- Vital Records, Death certificate of Frank Lesneski, Pennsylvania Department of Health, File No 14908, 5 Feb 1925. View image
- Vital Records, Death certificate of Dorothy Lesneski, Pennsylvania Department of Health, File No 3012, 2 Jan 1918. View image
- Will of Frank Lesneski, Register of Wills, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania. Will Proceedings, Vol. N., Page 57, Date Feb 13, 1925. View transcription
- Inventory and Appraisement of Frank Lesneski, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, 16 Feb 1925. View image
- Headstone image of Frank and Dora Lesneski, Saint Catherine’s Cemetery, DuBois, Clearfield, Pennsylvania. View image.
- Findagrave.com, Memorial #120369794, entry for Frank Lesneski. Available on the Internet at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=120369794.
- Findagrave.com, Memorial #120369793, entry for Dora Lesneski. Available on the Internet at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=120369793.